The Livingstons

The Livingstons

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Advice for College Professors

Since I don't want to actually say these things to my teachers, I think I'll just give them a little advice right here on this blog. Some of this may or may not have happened to me... Here it goes.

1. Don't ever schedule the first test for just under two weeks after the first day of school. It can cause a lot of stress on the students... (I have a teacher like this right now.)

2. If you do decide to schedule a test two weeks after the beginning of school, don't give the students a large (and by large I mean 90 pages, with the subject being on different ways to research) reading assignment two days before the test starts and expect the entire test to be over that material. Once again, it's stressful.

3. Why on earth would you make ALL of the reading for the entire semester due within the first 3 classes??? I just don't understand this thinking. The point of the semester is to learn... THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE SEMESTER!

4. When you put something in the syllabus that is due on a certain date, make sure you actually follow the schedule, or at least update it so the students can know. Sometimes students actually do their work and expect to turn it in on the day it is due, not 3 classes later.

5. Please please PLEASE do not make us work in groups for every little project or assignment we do! Although I like working in groups because I get to socialize, sometimes I just want to work alone because it's FASTER.

6. If you require students to be in class and take roll, chances are you are a boring teacher and you know it. Otherwise, you wouldn't force students to come; they'd naturally have a desire to come because they are genuinely liking you and the class.

7. While lecturing is obviously a part of college, can't you just add a YouTube video or something in the middle of the lecture to hold our attention a little better? Straight lecturing for an hour and a half is very boring and tiring for a student, and I can imagine it is for you too!

I'm usually not this bratty about college, and usually I like it. I guess I just wanted to get it out there that some of my professors do things that just don't make sense! Don't get me wrong, I usually enjoy school and do well and like the challenge, but sometimes it's a little ridiculous.

Well, there's my two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment