The Livingstons

The Livingstons

Thursday, June 4, 2015

How Do We Treat Others?

Since there has been so much talk about same-sex attraction and transgenderism, I wanted to really study out what the Church's stance is on all of it. On lds.org, I found this great article: https://www.lds.org/topics/same-gender-attraction?lang=eng.

Obviously, the LDS Church does not support same-sex marriage. I'm pretty sure we all know that. But the Church is very specific about being loving and compassionate to those who disagree with us because we are all children of God.

I think some people don't really understand that we can love and be compassionate toward people who do not hold the same beliefs as us. If, in order to love someone, the requirement was that we had to agree with everything the person does, no one would love anyone.

Love isn't agreeing with everything that someone else does. Love is treating people with kindness. I'll be the first to admit that I am not always kind. That's a flaw that I have, I guess. It's something I am constantly working on. But I do try my very best to love and be compassionate toward others, even if I don't agree with their beliefs or lifestyles.

I will never apologize for my beliefs. Even if those beliefs aren't accepted by many.

Christ was always extremely clear with what He knew was right and wrong, and many people hated Him for that. Yet, He always opened his arms to anyone who wanted to change and come unto Him.

Even though I am far from perfect, I will always strive to do what I believe to be right. Christ lives. He is the head of the LDS Church. I will always try to do what He would want me to do.

Here are some other great articles from the LDS Church that explain our stance on LGBT rights:
http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/explaining-religious-freedom-and-lgbt-rights
https://www.lds.org/church/news/key-points-from-churchs-religious-freedom-and-fairness-announcement?lang=eng
https://www.lds.org/church/news/church-signs-amicus-brief-filed-on-marriage?lang=eng

No comments:

Post a Comment