The Livingstons

The Livingstons

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Tantrum Baby (and months 6-11)

You know, parenthood is such an ever-changing roller coaster of emotions and new adventures. As a parent with a newborn, you just can't wait until they start to smile, and when they do, it just melts your heart. And then you can't wait until they can roll over, and when they do, you are just bursting with pride. And then you can't wait for them to eat real food and crawl and walk and talk...

But what you aren't expecting is that along with all of these amazing milestones comes a little personality from that darling sweet baby. And not every part of that personality is darling and sweet.

Unfortunately for Greg and me, our little not-even-11-month-old has figured out that she can throw tantrums. She can throw them in stores while we are shopping. She can throw them when we take something away from her. She can throw them when she's hungry. She can throw them just to throw them. Like, if she's bored. And I'm not talking just simple crying. I'm talking stomping her feet, falling onto her bottom, SCREAMING tantrums.

This is the face I get a lot:

I have become that mother in the store that looks around me with sorry eyes while my screaming baby runs around terrorizing the merchandise. I have become that mother who stands next to the sink and takes one or two or ten deep breaths while her baby stomps her feet, falls on her bum, and screams at the top of her lungs. I can't tell you how many silent prayers I say in one day.

I mean, my baby is not even one year old, and she already stomps her feet and tries to hide that dangerous pencil in her hand from me. Isn't she a little young to be that smart? Am I missing something here? 

I guess I should count myself lucky that she's just so smart... So smart that she's already testing my limits!

I have a feeling that this little girl is going to be giving me a run for my money and teaching me new things every day of my life. Like how to be patient. Or how to successfully lock myself in the bathroom without hearing the screams.

I know that I need to cut myself some slack and remember that this is all new to both Katherine and me. I've never had to parent a screaming baby, and she's never had to control herself. We are both learning, and I know it will take a lot of time and patience on both of our parts. I'm sure I'll look back at this blog post in 10 years and laugh at how naive I was. But I guess that's the point: I AM naive. I've never done this before, and I'm learning. I'm excited to learn how to be a parent.

Here are some things we've been up to the past 5 months (the pictures are a little out of order)!


We went whale watching!

 We went to a pumpkin patch in Irvine with Greg and Karina and the kids.


We went up to Utah at the beginning of September to celebrate Chris and Bailey's marriage! 

Greg and I finally got to go on a temple date while my parents watched Katherine. It was so nice.

This is Katherine at Dan and Alisa's wedding in early October.

Halloween pumpkin carving was so fun!

We went to Downtown Disney to see the decorations for Christmas! There was an outdoor ice skating rink. It was like 65 degrees outside.

Katherine is a CLIMBER. She climbs on EVERYTHING!




This was the only picture we got on our 4th wedding anniversary. It's gone by so fast!

Lots of beach fun!

Katherine LOVES dogs. I even become chopped liver when dogs are around, and that's really saying something. 

When we were in Utah for Chris and Bailey's reception, a bunch of Greg's little cousins played with Katherine. I'm not sure who was having more fun- Kate or the boys! 

On our way back to California after Chris and Bailey's reception, we found Ann Marie in the airport! SO FUN!

More beach time at sunset.





We love Downtown Disney! 



We've been able to go on a few local hikes. It's been awesome!


Katherine loves bubbles!




Uncle Steve and Uncle Ray got me some new clothes and toys!

Little whale watcher.

At Auntie Lisa's wedding.




We went on a beautiful hike in Park City when we were there in October. It was so awesome!! Notice Kate on Greg's back... Totally zonked.

I love this baby.

More pumpkin patch fun.




Kate has some really cute friends, Audrey and Gemma! (And mommy loves hanging out with their mommies).

How can you not love a face like that?

"You sly dog...."

Pumpkin baby.

Not very happy about her costume... 

We were Popeye, Olive Oyl, and Swee'Pea for Halloween this year! 

Beach kissies.

Katherine is extremely resourceful.

We go to Music Makers with some women and their kids from the ward and stake. It's really fun! Kate still isn't really sure about what's going on, but she'll get it eventually! 

Cuties at Music Makers.

Our pumpkins this year. Not my best, but Greg's always turn out awesome! He always does some sort of Star Wars character. 




Katherine also loves the dishwasher. She just can't stay away.

Alisa did this AMAZING picture of the three of us. She is seriously so talented. I just love it!

Two little sickies. Katherine and I both had strep, and she was a serious trooper through it. Strong girl.

Katherine and I went to the San Diego Zoo with Greg, Karina, and the kids back in October. It was such an awesome time! We love that zoo!




We were in San Diego because Greg had a workshop he needed to go to for work, so while he was doing that for a few days, Kate and I explored San Diego. We went to the Mormon Battalion Historic site. It was so fun! Katherine loved it, and she loved the missionaries too!


This is in Old Town. I just love Kate's face.

We visited the temple! So gorgeous! 

We all went to La Jolla Cove before we came home. It was really pretty! La Jolla is a hoppin' little town. It's super busy. But it sure is gorgeous! 


I'm telling you. Climbs on everything... 



We went to Greg's Aunt Lori and Uncle Dave's apartment in downtown San Diego. They live in a really cool high rise! We had dinner with them and then walked around downtown. It was really fun!

Diva. 

Aunt Wave came to visit us for a few days! We LOVED being with her!


Wave took some cute photos of this little babe at the beach (the beach in NOVEMBER).





Alfalfs.

Hanging out at grandma and grandpa's on Thanksgiving.




And here's Katherine's Thanksgiving meal. She LOVED it!


Thanksgiving weekend just wore us out!

This little monster loves to make messes everywhere! It's a good thing she's so darn cute!

When it gets down to like 55 degrees here in Orange County, we bust out our winter clothes. 


 We love walks with Daddy.

My little munchkin. She's so pretty.

Life is great!

No comments:

Post a Comment